“Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.” 1 Corinthians 13:6 NIV
As a new Christian, old Christian, and all Christians in between it can be hard to shed that old nature. We find that some things we used to love to do or places we loved to go are no longer good and fruitful towards our new life in Christ. The Holy Spirit within us is always guiding and directing us, speaking to us and counseling us in the ways that are righteous and pleasing to God. Love seeks to always satisfy himself with God and His will that leads to life. Therefore, it can find no delight or gratification in sin and evil whose pathways lead to death.
No longer delighting in evil
It can be a challenge as you begin and even continue to renew your mind in Christ and seek to live a life of love Gods way. Here are some biblical points and perspective on the issue.
Oh, the joys of those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or stand around with sinners, or join in with mockers. But they delight in the law of the Lord, meditating on it day and night. Psalm 1:1-2 NLT
- Who are you keeping company with? Do you surround yourself with individuals who are aiming for a similar lifestyle, to love and be love by God finding delight in His truths? Or do you continue to associate and surround yourself with those who live lives opposite of the one you seek in Christ?
- What are you meditating and thinking on? Do you fill your mind with positive and uplifting material that supports and edifies the will and body of Christ or do you rehearse lyrics and reimagine activities that are the adverse?
“O God, you take no pleasure in wickedness; you cannot tolerate the sins of the wicked.” Psalm 5:4 NLT
- God does not tolerate wickedness and sin. Because God hates sin he can not tolerate it and takes no pleasure in those who willingly live a lifestyle in conjunction with sin.
“Obviously, I’m not trying to win the approval of people, but of God. If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ’s servant.” Galatians 1:10 NLT
- What is the object of you affection? Who do you aim to please? If it is God you aim to please he makes it pretty clear what he finds pleasurable, good and delightful and what he does not. If it is your aim to be pleasing and satisfying to the world doing and being a part of the worlds way then you can not be pleasing towards God. You can not have both.
“may he equip you with all you need for doing his will. May he produce in you, through the power of Jesus Christ, every good thing that is pleasing to him. All glory to him forever and ever! Amen.” Hebrews 13:21 NLT
- Become equipped! God has made every provision for your success in him through Jesus Christ. It is there we find all things are possible. if it is your desire to be pleasing and loving, seeking wisdom and knowledge to be righteous in his sight and overcome He will equip you with every good thing to do so. He says ask. Simply ask. We do this in prayer. Seek. We seek in his word. And knock, by putting the word to work and going forth with what we’ve gathered.
“Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.” Matthew 7:7-8 NLT
- Are you seeking a life of love with a desire to be pleasing to God? Are you somwhere in the middle still straddling the fence or are you all the way out there, still waiting to make up your mind and decide to take that step towards God?
- Are there any areas of your life that you know are displeasing to God such as bad company, unhealthy behaviors,or sinful thoughts?
- What do you plan on Asking, Seeking and Knocking for in your life today?